Teaching » Workshops
Upcoming expedition photography workshops with Visionary Wild
- Birds of Iceland: July 7-16, 2017
Chris Linder and Gerrit Vyn / Visionary Wild
Join arctic explorer Chris Linder and Cornell Lab of Ornithology photographer Gerrit Vyn for this unique photographic experience during prime puffin chick-rearing season on a diligently customized route around northwest Iceland. Iceland’s steep, rocky coastline explodes with life in the summer months. Atlantic puffins, black guillemots, northern fulmars, and kittiwakes all raise their chicks here before returning to a life at sea. Our primary subject will be the colorful, charismatic Atlantic puffin, and we will be visiting some of the best locations for puffin photography in the world. In addition to Iceland’s cliff-dwelling seabirds, we will also spend time looking for tundra breeding birds including red-throated loons, tufted duck, black-tailed godwit, whimbrel, European golden plover, red-necked phalarope, and redshank.
- Iceland overland expedition: September 8-19, 2017
Justin Black and Chris Linder / Visionary Wild
Chris Linder and Justin Black will lead this eleven-night photo expedition limited to eight participants. The itinerary has been carefully crafted based on Chris and Justin's numerous prior assignments and explorations in Iceland, and includes incredible locations that can be accessed only be 4WD vehicle. Chris and Justin's extensive knowledge of the Icelandic landscape and environment makes them the perfect fit for getting to the best locations for prime photographic opportunities. Our small group will travel in comfort in four snorkeled Land Rover "Superjeeps," each driven by an experienced Icelandic mountain guide. Every participant will have a window seat, lots of elbow room in the vehicles, and ample space for their equipment. Our guides will set up camp each night in locations that make dawn and dusk shoots very convenient. All camping gear will be provided.
- Svalbard expedition: August 28 - September 6, 2018
Justin Black, Daisy Gilardini, Eddie Soloway, Michael Melford, Roy Toft, and Chris Linder / Visionary Wild
Designed for photographers by photographers, this expedition to the Svalbard archipelago will focus on the starkly beautiful Arctic landscape, wildlife, and ice. Here are just a few of the highlights:
- World-class photo instructor team, and an excellent participant-to-instructor ratio that is almost unheard of on a ship-based expedition
- Timed to coincide with seemingly endless sunsets, first snows of autumn on the mountains, and excellent wildlife opportunities.
- Our expedition's private charter vessel Plancius – a very comfortable and capable 296-foot ice-rated expedition ship with accommodation limited to only fifty guests (though the ship sleeps up to 116 normally) in comfortable en suite cabins and staterooms – optimizes the photographic potential and overall quality of experience on this trip.
- Polar Bears: Eye to Eye: November 2-8, 2016 with Roy Toft and Chris Linder / Visionary Wild
A special opportunity to intensively photograph polar bear behavior close-up in the wild. Our small group photographed the bears from eye level, on foot, via short excursions onto the tundra and from the grounds of the lodge, where polar bears walk within inches of the fence line. This area is unusual in also enjoying excellent sightings of wolves, and it's also one of the few places on Earth where polar bears and black bears can be seen together.
Greenland: September 9-21, 2015 with Frans Lanting, Chris Eckstrom, Justin Black, and Chris Linder / Visionary Wild
Featuring private charter of the three-masted expedition vessel Rembrandt van Rijn, helicopter flights onto the second largest ice cap on Earth, close encounters with the Arctic's largest icebergs, and excursions onto the colorful autumn tundra.
Do you have specific needs and/or a busy schedule? Private workshops are available for groups of 8 or less. We can spend time in the field, work on digital darkroom techniques, review your portfolio, or any combination. Please contact me for pricing. For larger groups, or to make a reservation, please contact me.